Nature has its own way of evolution. All living beings have to adapt to situations to either survive or “go to the next level”. A very good example to understand the survival point is the example of geese. These birds have learnt the trick to escape the cold winters. They fly thousands of miles every year to warmer regions to survive. They have also learnt the importance of teamwork and their migration is a beautiful lesson on team building.
An example on “going to the next level” is the story of the caterpillar which transforms into a butterfly. By going through this part of the evolutionary process, a caterpillar which cannot even think of going beyond a few trees now is able to fly to several gardens. Everything in the caterpillar changes to such an extent that there is no similarity whatsoever.
To the less privileged species, nature has taken over the evolution process – it oversees its completion. But in our cases – the special ones, nature has gifted us with the ability to control this transformation process. But first of all – a fundamental question – do we as human beings need to transform? If it’s just the case of survival – there is not much of a need. But in the case of “going to the next level” it becomes necessary.
When human beings transform they don’t change any of their physical characteristics. The transformation is more of “inward” than “outward”. The challenges faced at every level are different. Some body can be an expert at one level. To keep up the performance at the next level, the existing mindset, attitude, behavior, knowledge, skill or way of doing things will not be enough. That person also has to undergo a cocooning stage – to come out transformed and fully equipped with the requisites for success.
The good news here, is that this cocooning stage is an ongoing process. We do not have to take a break to get equipped. A few hours every week devoted to this cocooning process can go a long way in ensuring that we are “up and ready”.
The bad news here, is that hardly a few percent of the human population feel the need for this. A majority go about their lives “blissfully ignorant” and do nothing about it. The pareto principle is very true in this context. About 20% feel the need to transform and do something about it and the remaining 80% don’t do anything.
As leaders, we need to be high on the index over here. We need to be more inclined and give more time for these initiatives – only then we can lead by example and become agents of positive change at the workplace.